I know I’m a bit late but I figured I would wish you all something. This year seems to be everyone’s year of renewal and it does seem a bit different than other years. I can honestly say that this should be a year of renewal for me. After having possibly the worst year of my life last year and fearing that I wouldn’t even see this year, I’m happy to be here. I’m happy to be here and yet, a little sad at the same time. It’s a hard climb up. You always think that you are done healing. But you end up realizing how much you still have to go. How much you still have to l
earn about yourself and the world around you. This year, I want it to be a good year. I want a year of growth and advancement. I want to be able to say that I’m a better person than I was at the beginning of this year.
Let’s review how I did with last year’s resolutions:
1.”Get at least a level 5 on the TOPIK“. Yeah, fail. No time to do that so that’s a bust.
2. “Become better at German” Fail again. I need to get on that.
3. “Lose more weight” I did lose more weight, but not to the size 12 I wanted. Boo. That might be a while away but I’ll get
there one day.
4. “Be happier” I think I’ve finally become happier than I was last year so yes, I would say I’ve succeeded.
5. “Get that new cell phone” Success! I did get a new cell phone.
6. “Get organized and good at my job and be a better supervisor” I ended up switching jobs, for many reasons, but because I couldn’t do the job well enough with the situation I was in. I was literally going crazy from it all. I had to change the job for my future. And it was the best decision I ever made.
7. “Respond to messages and emails faster” This is improving at the speed of a snail. But it is improving. I’m trying.
I’m not sure if this was a successful or unsuccessful year. Perhaps it’s best to call it a draw. So what are my plans for this year?
1. Continue to read more books. I’ve already read some books last year and I will continue. I need to read more as to try and improve my speaking skills and vocabulary. By living in another country, I find that my English skills suffer so, to make up for this, I need to read more.
2. Continue to lose weight and get healthy. Try to get to a size 16 by the summer. That is a more realistic goal. We shall see how low I get but at least a size 14/16 sounds realistic. In 6 months time? It depends on how motivated I am…
3. Be happier. I’m happier than I was last year but I’m not at my happiest. Many things still hold me back. I still get sad and lonely here. So I need to learn how to make myself happier. Whether it be new hobbies, new friends, etc. I live a pretty quiet lifestyle so this will be necessary to work on.
4. Be more carefree. Stop worrying what other people think about me and just be me. If that loses some people, it does, if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. But always try my best. Live without regrets. I’ve lived with so many regrets so far in life so obviously I’m doing something wrong. Therefore, I must change.
5. Help more people. Help without expecting. Always continue to help people. Give gifts to people, do little things for people. If I find an article that reminds me of someone, send it to that person. There’s nothing wrong with that. It doesn’t mean that I’m in love with that person. It just means I care. Is there anything wrong with that? I don’t think so. I never know what can happen from it.
6. Be more social. Meet more people. Be more outgoing.
7. Get a 5 or a 6 on the TOPIK. I’ve already got the books, it’s just time to start studying. And with the layout of the TOPIK changing this year (it’s becoming easier), I should make it a priority to work on it this year. If I want to progress in my career, it’s necessary. I need to get on this.
So this is my plan for this year. Let’s see how well I do. Here’s to a better year and better life.